Every vehicle has an internal computer that uses the information to alert you of a problem in pretty much any part of your car. Consequently, none of the warnings are voluntary. The check engine light is one of these warnings that spell trouble and cannot simply be ignored. The issues are stored in a trouble code that can be decoded by an electronic scan tool.
Can I Drive with the Light On?
When the 'Check Light' illuminates on your dashboard, you should pay attention to the behavior of the light. If the check engine light flashes for more than several seconds, the problem is pretty major. It would be best if you pulled over to check the car immediately. However, if the light does not flash, you can continue driving if the vehicle is not having operational issues. Regardless of flashing or still light, you will need to take your car to a trusted mechanic sooner or later.
What are Common Reasons for a Check Engine Light To Come On?
The check engine light may illuminate for various reasons. Here are some of the most prevalent causes that we've seen at Prestige Auto Works:
• Faulty oxygen sensor - The oxygen sensor monitors the amount of oxygen in the exhaust system and transmits it to the onboard computer to regulate the fuel and air mixture.
• Loose gas cap- If the gas cap is loose, the light will come on due to the leaks from the fuel tank. The gas cap should be the first place you check when your check engine light comes on.
• Failed catalytic converter -The catalytic converter transforms the car's harmful exhaust gases into less toxic byproducts. If this part fails, your vehicle may consume excess fuel and perform poorly.
• Mass airflow sensor failure- The MAF sensor determines the amount of fuel to be burnt in the combustion process based on the air available. If it is damaged, the car experiences a rough idle and reduction in fuel economy.
• Old spark plugs - You should always replace your plugs according to your owner's manual. If the plugs or the ignition coil fails, it will trigger the check engine light to come on.
If your check engine light is on, we invite you to come by Prestige Auto Works today!