If you have ever had the misfortune of driving a vehicle when the timing belt breaks, then you are well aware of the importance of this seldom talked about part. Without a functioning timing belt, you are not going to go anywhere. It is a critical part that permits the valves in your engine to work in conjunction with the pistons to keep everything functioning properly. Because the timing belt is so critical, it is important that you be able to identify the warning signs of a timing belt that may be worn out.
5 Signs That Your Timing Belt Should be Replaced
While not an exhaustive list, the following five signs should alert you to the fact that you may need to have your timing belt replaced.
- Your engine fails to start - While there are many reasons why your engine will not turn over, a bad timing belt is often the guilty culprit.
- You hear a strange noise emanating from the engine - You may notice a strong sound that you never heard before coming from under the hood. That could be your timing belt indicating its age.
- The engine continually slips or even misfires - Remember that a timing belt is necessary in order to keep the valves and pistons in your engine working in perfect harmony. If the belt stops working, your engine may start to slip and misfire. This is very concerning and you should stop driving as soon as safely possible.
- You notice the engine running a bit rough - Again, you know your car. If the engine sounds rough, there is a problem that you need to have solved.
- Your car is performing poorly and your gas mileage noticeably declines - When your engine has to start working harder, your car's performance will suffer as a result. You will notice this in your fuel consumption as well.
Timing Belt Replacement in Sacramento, CA
If you notice one or more of these indicators, you should have your timing belt checked out right away. Contact our auto repair shop right away for an appointment and we will be happy to take a look at it for you.